Lindsey A. Payne, a native Floridian, who has resided in the City of Fort Lauderdale her entire life, has been practicing law in Florida for over 30 years. Lindsey is licensed to practice in Florida and Georgia and is Board Certified by the Florida Bar in City, County and Local Government law. Lindsey has spent her entire career working for and with local governments. She was an Assistant City Attorney with the City of Fort Lauderdale for 17 years where she handled all phrases of municipal legal work including preparation of Resolutions, Ordinances, contracts, leases and other documents, advised all City departments, including handling of labor and employee issues, and represented the City in many types of litigation concerning signage, adult entertainment, zoning issues, bidding and contract award, development approval, constitutional challenges to ordinances, and appeals from decisions of City Boards. She also handled appeals from the State Circuit Court to the 4th DCA and from the U.S. District Court to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. She acted as the Attorney for the Board of Adjustment, the Planning and Zoning Board, Sign Advisory Board, and the Historic Preservation Board. She represented City Staff before the Code Enforcement Board, Unsafe Structures Board and Marine Advisory Board.
After working at the City of Fort Lauderdale, Lindsey worked in private practice assisting with the representation of the cities of Plantation, Dania Beach, Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs, North Lauderdale, Wilton Manors, Oakland Park, Lauderdale-By-the Sea, Lighthouse Point, Sea Ranch Lakes, Boynton Beach, Miramar, Pine Tree Water Control District, Broward League of Cities, and represented the City of Fort Lauderdale Housing Authority and the Broward County Housing Authority.
Lindsey then worked as an Assistant County Attorney for Broward County for 7 years where she represented the Consumer Affairs Division including the Consumer Protection Board, the Affordable Housing Division, the Construction Management Division and the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.
Admitted to Practice
- B.A., Political Science, cum laude, Stetson University, 1978.
- J.D., Mercer University, 1981.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Florida, Georgia.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit.
- U.S. Supreme Court.
- Member, Broward County Bar Association, American Bar Association.
- Board Certified -City, County and Local Government Law.
- Served on Grade Review Panel for City, County and Local Government certification exams.
- Past member of YMCA Metropolitan Board and East Branch Board.
- Past member of Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Program.
- Past member of Leadership Fort Lauderdale Program-Govt. and Law Committee.
- Past member of the Children's Home Society Board.
- Past member of YMCA Downtown Branch Board.
- Past member and Chair of Pastor Parish Relations Committee for the First United Methodist Church of Ft. Lauderdale.
- Current member of YMCA Association Board and YMCA Association Development Committee.
- Current member Finance Committee for First United Methodist Church of Ft. Lauderdale.
- Member, Florida Bar Speaker's Bureau.
- Recipient of President's Award for YMCA of Broward County, Inc.-1999.
- Lecturer, Florida Bar, Florida Municipal Attorney's Association, American Planning Association-Broward Section.